Joined by our Board Chair Wadood Ibrahim (Protegra) and Board Member Lisa Dyck, we were deeply pleased to have a wide ranging conversation with the Minister on critical issues facing the sector – a conversation we look forward to continuing as carbon pricing and possible NAFTA changes loom on the horizon.
Our suggestions included:
- Evaluating the impact of carbon pricing on ag producers and related industries as part of an overall tax review, since carbon pricing will join a larger tax ecosystem
- Considering options for carbon price revenue recycling in the sector, notably infrastructure investments targeting flood mitigation and protection
- Working together on common priorities in the Canada Transport Act Review report for Manitoba
- Supporting and exploring opportunities for our dairy producers opened by CETA
- Developing a comprehensive food sector strategy that includes workforce development, access to capital, and supply chain alignment
We’re grateful to connect with a Minister who has deep ties, history and support for Manitoba’s food sector and look forward to future discussions.