About us » Opening the Archives
On March 8, 2013, The Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce turns 140 years old. We have a BOLD and colourful history.
In 1868, J.A. Ashdown purchased $1,000 in stock and opened a tin shop in a 16' x 18' room, becoming one of the first recorded industrial activities of any consequence. Over the next three years, there was growing pressure to organize a Board of Trade to look after the interests of the business community, which had grown to more than 18 business establishments.
On March 8, 1873, the Act of Incorporation for the Winnipeg Board of Trade was passed and given Royal assent by Manitoba's lieutenant-governor.
Today, we celebrate our achievements over the intervening years. Working with Coelement, we have created a series of videos - Opening the Archives - to highlight our history and our achievements.
THE BEGINNING YEARS
THE START OF SOMETHING BIG
THE GAVEL - A SYMBOL OF LEADERSHIP
CHAMBER GROUP INSURANCE AND OTHER NEW IDEAS
WHERE WE CALLED HOME